The use of live animals in research and teaching is a societal and individual privilege that is taken seriously at Harvard and is a highly regulated activity. University policies and government regulations require advance review and approval of all vertebrate animal and cephalopod research prior to its commencement. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ federally mandated Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for reviewing and approving proposed studies.
All individuals planning to use vertebrate animals or cephalopods in research and/or teaching must establish, or be listed on, an IACUC-approved protocol, participate in the institution’s occupational health program, be appropriately trained to perform procedures, attend facility orientation as required, and complete assigned Harvard Training Portal modules that acquaint the participants with Harvard policies as well as federal, state, and City of Cambridge regulations regarding the use of animals. These processes may be started or verified by contacting IACUC Administration at IACUC@fas.harvard.edu.
The Office of Animal Resources (OAR) is the unit responsible for the housing, daily care and health of vertebrate animals used on campus in the FAS. All mammals and other select vertebrates housed in OAR-managed facilities must be ordered through the OAR’s Animal Ordering system; questions regarding animal orders may be sent to email@example.com.
Any concerns or questions about the care and use of laboratory animals should be directed promptly to any of the following contacts listed below. In accordance with the University’s Whistleblower Policy, the University will protect from retaliation members of the Harvard community who make good faith reports of suspected violations of law or University policy. The University’s Compliance Hotline is a resource for members of the Harvard community who are uncomfortable reporting through the recommended contacts and prefer to anonymously report any suspected violations of law or Harvard policy.
- Craig P. Hunter, PhD, IACUC Chair, HU/FAS Standing Committee on the Use of Animals in Research and Teaching: (617) 495-8309 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leslie A. Kirwan, Dean for Administration and Finance of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Institutional Official of the Animal Care and Use program: (617) 496-8729, email@example.com
- Kathleen R. Pritchett-Corning, DVM, Attending Veterinarian and Director of the Office of Animal Resources: (617) 384-6642, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee administrative office: email@example.com
- Compliance Hotline: 877-694-2275 FREE